A few days ago I stumbled upon a challenge posed to Lauren at Pure Style Home- she had been challenged by Alek of From the Right Bank to the Left Coast to select a SINGLE photo to define her current style. Of course, this set me off on the search for my one photo. Instead of finding a picture that said a thousand words, I seemed to find just thousands of pictures… and then I landed on this Kitchen image by designer Renea Abbot of the wonderful Shabby Slips. I think this pretty well sums up my style today:
- A relaxed setting that invites people in and makes them want to linger over conversation
- A neutral and fresh background using wood, painted surfaces, and marble
- Color coming from accessories, rather than major elements themselves (so much easier to change them when you’re in for a new look!)
- Antiques juxtaposed against clean lines
- An industrial edge, brought in from all the stainless steel in this kitchen
- Florals/Botanicals in a simple and monochromatic arrangement
- Linens and china in a casual and elegant setting
- China displayed as art – you can see the edge of a pretty white dish displayed on the countertop to the right of the picture
- One single pattern used in moderation… Here, this comes from the zebra fabric on the French style chairs
- Bling from glassware and accessories grouped together (notice how pretty the bottles of wine and oil look next to the range and the neatly lined up refrigerator contents!)… one thing that could make this kitchen more my style right now would be a rock crystal chandelier above the table
- The only other thing I would change in this room is to have an antique French oak floor laid in a herringbone pattern… since this is a hypothetical challenge, I think my hypothetical budget could certainly accommodate this!
What is your style today? Is there an image or inspiration that sums it up? Don’t worry, if you find thousands like I did, the question is what your style today. Another picture can definitely qualify for your style tomorrow! Enjoy your search and please share your find!